Andrew Jackson the seventh U.S. President was a self-made lawyer from Tennessee and a war hero who aimed to represent ordinary people.
Born into a poor family in 1767 he later owned slaves and a plantation.
As president he fought for the average citizen’s interests challenged the Electoral College and shook up government employment practices.
He opposed the Second Bank of the United States seeing it as a privileged institution and successfully shut it down.
Jackson also faced a tariff crisis using force to preserve the Union against South Carolina’s nullification attempt but it was resolved peacefully.
He supported Martin Van Buren who followed him as president. Jackson retired to his plantation and passed away in 1845.
Here are the best quotes by Andrew Jackson.
Andrew Jackson Quotes
1. “I was born for a storm and a calm does not suit me.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
2. “When you get in debt you become a slave.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
3. “Give me a thousand Tennesseans, and I’ll whip any other thousand men on the globe!” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
4. “Every man is equally entitled to protection by law.” ~ President Jackson.
5. “Fear not, the people may be deluded for a moment, but cannot be corrupted.” ~ Andrew Jackson.
6. “I have great confidence in the virtue of the great majority of the people, and I cannot fear the result.” ~ Andrew Jackson.
7. “You must look to and provide for all possible contingencies.” ~ Andrew Jackson.
8. “In one word, you must survey the whole ground.” ~ Andrew Jackson.
9. “The wisdom of man never yet contrived a system of taxation that would operate with perfect equality.” ~ Andrew Jackson.
10. “There is nothing that I shudder at more than the idea of a separation of the Union.” ~ Andrew Jackson.
11. “You must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessings.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
Popular Andrew Jackson Quotes
12. “When the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
13. “But you must remember, my fellow-citizens, that eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty, and that you must pay the price if you wish to secure the blessing.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
14. “There are only two things I can’t give up; one is coffee and the other is tobacco.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
15. “Live within your means, never be in debt, and by husbanding your money you can always lay it out well.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
16. “I don’t forget that I am a mechanic. I am proud to own it. Neither do I forget that the apostle Paul was a tentmaker; Socrates was a sculptor; and Archimedes was a mechanic.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
17. “Elevate those guns a little lower.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
18. “The brave man, inattentive to his duty, is worth little more to his country than the coward who deserts her in the hour of danger.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
19. “The Supreme Court has made its decision, now let them enforce it.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
20. “There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses. If it would confine itself to equal protection, and, as Heaven does its rains, shower its favors alike on the high and the low, the rich and the poor, it would be an unqualified blessing.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
21. “I have never in my life seen a Kentuckian who didn’t have a gun, a pack of cards, and a jug of whiskey.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
22. “There are no necessary evils in government. Its evils exist only in its abuses.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
23. “Internal improvement and the diffusion of knowledge, so far as they can be promoted by the constitutional acts of the Federal Government, are of high importance.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
Top Andrew Jackson Quotes
24. “All the rights secured to the citizens under the Constitution are worth nothing, and a mere bubble, except guaranteed to them by an independent and virtuous Judiciary.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
25. “Disunion by force is treason.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
26. “To the victors belong the spoils.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
27. “Equality of talents, of education, or of wealth can not be produced by human institutions.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
28. “War is a blessing compared with national degradation.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
29. “The great can protect themselves, but the poor and humble require the arm and shield of the law.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
30. “The hydra of corruption is only scotched, not dead. An investigation kills and it and its supporters dead. Let this be had.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
31. “Temporize not! It is always injurious.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
32. “I am one of those who do not believe that a national debt is a national blessing, but rather a curse to a republic; inasmuch as it is calculated to raise around the administration a moneyed aristocracy dangerous to the liberties of the country.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
33. “No free government can stand without virtue in the people, and a lofty spirit of patriotism.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
34. “The Constitution and the laws are supreme and the Union indissoluble.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
Famous Andrew Jackson Quotes
35. “Perpetuity is stamped upon the Constitution by the blood of our fathers.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
36. “Peace, above all things, is to be desired, but blood must sometimes be spilled to obtain it on equable and lasting terms.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
37. “Every good citizen makes his country’s honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and its conscious that he gains protection while he gives it.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
38. “What good man would prefer a country covered with forests and ranged by a few thousand savages to our extensive Republic, studded with cities, towns, and prosperous farms, embellished with all the improvements which art can devise or industry execute.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
39. “Americans are not a perfect people, but we are called to a perfect mission.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
40. “Democracy shows not only its power in reforming governments, but in regenerating a race of men and this is the greatest blessing of free governments.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
41. “I feel in the depths of my soul that it is the highest, most sacred, and most irreversible part of my obligation to preserve the union of these states, although it may cost me my life.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
Wise Andrew Jackson Quotes
42. “I have always been afraid of banks.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
43. “You are uneasy; you never sailed with me before, I see.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
44. “It will be my sincere and constant desire to observe toward the Indian tribes within our limits a just and liberal policy, and to give that humane and considerate attention to their rights and their wants which is consistent with the habits of our Government and the feelings of our people.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
45. “I hope and trust to meet you in Heaven, both white and black-both white and black.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
46. “I say to you never involve yourself in debt, and become no man’s surety.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
47. “The safety of the republic being the supreme law, and Texas having offered us the key to the safety of our country from all foreign intrigues and diplomacy, I say accept the key and bolt the door at once.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
48. “Toward the aborigines of the country no one can indulge a more friendly feeling than myself, or would go further in attempting to reclaim them from their wandering habits and make them a happy, prosperous people.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
49. “I am a Senator against my wishes and feelings, which I regret more than any other of my life.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
50. “Although I could lament in the language and feelings of David for Absalom, I am constrained to say, peace to his manes. Let us weep for the living, and not for the dead.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
51. “After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
52. “Heaven will be no heaven to me if I do not meet my wife there.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
53. “There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
54. “You are a den of vipers. I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God I will rout you out. If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system, there would be a revolution before morning.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
55. “I weep for the liberty of my country when I see at this early day of its successful experiment that corruption has been imputed to many members of the House of Representatives, and the rights of the people have been bartered for promises of office.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
56. “John Calhoun, if you secede from my nation I will secede your head from the rest of your body.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).
57. “You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the eternal God, I will rout you out.” ~ (Andrew Jackson).