Jack Robinson was an African-American professional baseball player who played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the first time in the modern era.
When Robinson debuted at first base for the Brooklyn Dodgers on April 15, 1947, he broke baseball’s color line.
When the Dodgers signed Robinson, it signaled the end of professional baseball’s racial segregation, which had kept black players in the Negro leagues since the 1880s.
In 1962, Robinson was inducted to the Baseball Hall of Fame.
We have compiled the best of the best quotes from Jackie Robinson.
Best Jackie Robinson Quotes on Success, Life, Ambition and Equality
1. “It kills me to lose. If I’m a troublemaker, and I don’t think that my temper makes me one, then it’s because I can’t stand losing. That’s the way I am about winning, all I ever wanted to do was finish first.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
3. “How you played in yesterday’s game is all that counts.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
4. “I don’t let my mouth say nothin’ my head can’t stand” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
5. “If I had been white with the things I did, they never would have allowed me to get out of baseball.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
9. “I want everybody to understand that I am an American Negro first before I am a member of any political party.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
10. “Life is not a spectator sport. If you’re going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion you’re wasting your life.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
11. “Are you looking for a Negro who won’t fight back?” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
15. “Baseball, like some other sports, poses as a sacred institution dedicated to the public good, but it is actually a big, selfish business with a ruthlessness that many big businesses would never think of displaying.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
16. “This ain’t fun. But you watch me, I’ll get it done.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
17. “A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
21. “The most luxurious possession, the richest treasure anybody has, is his personal dignity.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
22. “I think it was one of the greatest times ever in the world to play baseball. Television was in its infancy. Breaking the color barrier.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
27. “This ain’t fun. But you watch me, I’ll get it done.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
28. “Relationships may change throughout the gift of time, memories stay the same forever in my mind.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
29. “I am not concerned with being liked or disliked. I am concerned with being respected.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
30. “I do not believe that every person, in every walk of life, can succeed in spite of any handicap. That would be perfection. But I do believe that what I was able to attain came to be because we put behind us (no matter how slowly) the dogmas of the past: to discover the truth of today; and perhaps the greatness of tomorrow.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
34. “At the beginning of the World Series of 1947, I experienced a completely new emotion when the National Anthem was played. This time, I thought, it is being played for me, as much as for anyone else.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
35. “Life is not a spectator sport. If you’re going to spend your whole life in the grandstand just watching what goes on, in my opinion, you’re wasting your life.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
36. “The many of us who attain what we may and forget those who help us along the line we’ve got to remember that there are so many others to pull along the way. The farther they go, the further we all go.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
38. “I cannot possibly believe that I have it made while so many black brothers and sisters are hungry, inadequately housed, insufficiently clothed, denied their dignity as they live in slums or barely exist on welfare.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
40. “I don’t like needing anyone for anything.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
41. “A life isn’t significant except for its impact on other lives.” ~ (Jackie Robinson).
You Might Like
- Nipsey Hussle Quotes
- Drew Barrymore Quotes
- Harry Styles Quotes
- Viktor E. Frankl Quotes
- Alexander the Great Quotes
- Tupac Shakur Quotes
- David Goggins Quotes
- Ayn Rand Quotes