John Adams was an American statesman, attorney, diplomat, writer, and Founding Father.
50 Best John Adams Quotes
1. “Every problem is an opportunity in disguise.” ~ (John Adams).
2. “Let justice be done though the heavens should fall.” ~ (John Adams).
3. “Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” ~ (John Adams).
4. “I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy.” ~ (John Adams).
5. “To be good, and to do good, is all we have to do.” ~ (John Adams).
6. “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a country. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.” ~ (John Adams).
7. “Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.” ~ (John Adams).
8. “One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three is a Congress.” ~ (John Adams).
9. “Those who trade liberty for security have neither.” ~ (John Adams).
10. “Let us tenderly and kindly cherish therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write .” ~ (John Adams).
Popular John Adams Quotes
11. “I would quarrel with both parties, and with every individual of each, before I would subjugate my understanding, or prostitute my tongue or pen to either.” ~ (John Adams).
12. “Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.” ~ (John Adams).
13. “We Recognize No Sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!” ~ (John Adams).
14. “Ideology is the science of idiots.” ~ (John Adams).
15. “I am a revolutionary, so my son can be a farmer, so his son can be a poet.” ~ (John Adams).
16. “Posterity! you will never know how much it cost the present generation to preserve your freedom! I hope you will make a good use of it.” ~ (John Adams).
17. “To believe all men honest is folly. To believe none is something worse.” ~ (John Adams).
18. “We have no Constitution which functions in the absence of a moral people.” ~ (John Adams).
19. “Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.” ~ (John Adams).
20. “The United States is not a Christian nation any more than it is a Jewish or a Mohammedan nation.” ~ (John Adams).
21. “The happiness of society is the end of government.” ~ (John Adams).
Top John Adams Quotes
22. “I must study war and politics so that my children shall be free to study commerce, agriculture and other practicalities, so that their children can study painting, poetry and other fine things.” ~ (John Adams).
23. “Property must be secured, or liberty cannot exist.” ~ (John Adams).
24. “Mankind will in time discover that unbridled majorities are as tyrannical and cruel as unlimited despots.” ~ (John Adams).
25. “Swim or sink, live or die, survive or perish with my country was my unalterable determination.” ~ (John Adams).
26. “We cannot insure success, but we can deserve it.” ~ (John Adams).
27. “Ambition is one of the ungovernable passions of the human heart. The love of power is insatiable and uncontrollable.” ~ (John Adams).
28. “Thanks to God that he gave me stubbornness when I know I am right.” ~ (John Adams).
29. “I am determined to control events, not be controlled by them.” ~ (John Adams).
30. “Property monopolized or in the possession of a few is a curse to mankind.” ~ (John Adams).
Famous John Adams Quotes
31. “There are only two creatures of value on the face of the earth: those with the commitment, and those who require the commitment of others.” ~ (John Adams).
32. “A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.” ~ (John Adams).
33. “The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity.” ~ (John Adams).
34. “I had heard my father say that he never knew a piece of land run away or break.” ~ (John Adams).
35. “Nothing is more dreaded than the national government meddling with religion.” ~ (John Adams).
36. “There is no greater guilt than the unnecessary war.” ~ (John Adams).
37. “People and nations are forged in the fires of adversity.” ~ (John Adams).
38. “If we do not lay out ourselves in the service of mankind whom should we serve?” ~ (John Adams).
39. “It’s of more importance to community that innocence should be protected than it is that guilt should be punished.” ~ (John Adams).
40. “When legislature is corrupted, the people are undone.” ~ (John Adams).
41. “Suppose a nation in some distant region should take the Bible for their only law book, and every member should regulate his conduct by the precepts there exhibited. What a Utopia! What a paradise this region would be.” ~ (John Adams).
42. “It is much easier to pull down a government, in such a conjuncture of affairs as we have seen, than to build up, at such a season as the present.” ~ (John Adams).
Short John Adams Quotes
43. “When public virtue is gone, when the national spirit is fled the republic is lost in essence, though it may still exist in form.” ~ (John Adams).
44. “I must judge for myself, but how can I judge, how can any man judge, unless his mind has been opened and enlarged by reading.” ~ (John Adams).
45. “Have you considered that system of holy lies and pious frauds that has raged and triumphed for 1,500 years?” ~ (John Adams).
46. “Power must never be trusted without a check.” ~ (John Adams).
47. “The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the law of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.” ~ (John Adams).
48. “Slavery is a foul contagion in the human character.” ~ (John Adams).
49. “I would define liberty to be a power to do as we would be done by. The definition of liberty to be the power of doing whatever the law permits, meaning the civil laws, does not seem satisfactory.” ~ (John Adams).
50. “We are in the very midst of a revolution, the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations.” ~ (John Adams).