Michael Phelps, born on June 30, 1985, in Baltimore, is widely regarded as the greatest Olympian ever, with a record 28 medals, including 23 golds, more than double his nearest rivals.
Other swimmers like Spitz, Biondi and Thompson have managed no more than eight golds each. Phelps’ journey began at the North Baltimore Aquatic Club, leading to his Olympic debut at 15 in Sydney 2000.
He dominated the next four Olympics, with the 2008 Beijing Games being the highlight, where he won eight golds, breaking World Records in seven events.
After retiring post-London 2012, he made a historic comeback in Rio 2016, winning five golds and one silver.
Now retired, Phelps focuses on his charitable foundation emphasizing children’s mental health.
Here are the most inspiring quotes from Michael Phelps for you.
Motivating Michael Phelps Quotes
1. “I can’t remember the last day I didn’t train.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
2. “If you put your mind to anything that you dream, you can achieve it.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
3. “It’s not how you start, but it’s how you finish.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
4. “The one thing that’s common to all successful people: They make a habit of doing things that unsuccessful people don’t like to do.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
5. “You can’t put a limit on anything. The more you dream, the farther you get.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
6. “Perseverance, determination, commitment, and courage-those things are real. The desire for redemption drives you.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
7. “I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and you put the work and time into it. I think your mind really controls everything.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
8. “The more you dream the more you achieve.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
9. “I think with practice, you can being whatever you want to be, and with a goal you can go in any direction that you want to go in.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
10. “If you want to be the best, you have to do things that other people aren’t willing to do.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
Inspirational Michael Phelps Quotes
11. “Anything is possible as long as you want it, you work for it. Doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks, the only person that can really put pressure on you is yourself.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
12. “I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
13. “When I’m focused, there is not one single thing, person, anything that can stand in the way of my doing something. There is not. If I want something bad enough, I feel I’m gonna get there.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
14. “Swimming is normal for me. I’m relaxed. I’m comfortable, and I know my surroundings. It’s my home.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
15. “Things can change in the blink of an eye!” ~ (Michael Phelps).
16. “It’s the Olympics. If you can’t get up to swim early in the morning, don’t go.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
17. “Nothing is impossible. With so many people saying it couldn’t be done, all it takes is an imagination.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
18. “I’m kind of a creature of habit. Once I get used to doing things, it’s like second nature.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
19. “We’re all a little tired.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
Best Michael Phelps Quotes
20. “I like to just think of myself as a normal person who just has a passion, has a goal and a dream and goes out and does it. And that’s really how I’ve always lived my life.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
21. “I would visualize the best- and worst-case scenarios. Whether I get disqualified or my goggles fill up with water or I lose my goggles or I come in last, I’m ready for anything.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
22. “Dream as big as you can dream, and anything is possible.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
23. “If you say “can’t” you’re restricting what you can do or ever will do.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
24. “Things won’t go perfect. It’s all about how you adapt from those things and learn from mistakes.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
25. “When you use your imagination anything can happen.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
26. “I like to get in my own world. When I’m getting ready for a meet, I always have headphones on, listening to rap music to get myself fired up.”~ (Michael Phelps).
27. “When I race, I don’t think about it; it just happens.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
28. “I don’t want to be the next Mark Spitz; I want to be the first Michael Phelps.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
29. “The problem with heart disease is the first symptom is often fatal.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
30. “Nobody is going to put a limit on what I’m doing.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
31. “People say to me, ‘You’re so lucky. You get to see the world.’ But I don’t. I go to the hotel and to the pools and back again. That’s it.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
32. “I knew I was not a failure in any way, and so did those close to me. It doesn’t matter if you fall short; it is never a failure to go after your goals with everything you’ve got.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
33. “I won’t predict anything historic. But nothing is impossible.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
34. “I got the stamina. I can close.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
35. “I want to test my maximum and see how much I can do. And I want to change the world of swimming.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
36. “It doesn’t matter what else is going on. When you walk into your arena or your – whatever you excel at, you’re there to take care of the job that you have to do.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
37. “Records are always made to be broken no matter what they are. Anybody can do anything that they set their mind to.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
38. “My goal is one Olympic gold medal. Not many people in this world can say, ‘I’m an Olympic gold medalist.’” ~ (Michael Phelps).
39. “If I want to achieve the goals I’ve set, I’ve got to be in tip-top shape.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
40. “I have reached a place in my life where I need to sit down and say, ‘Well, what do I do? What’s best for me?’ I need to look into options for the future.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
Top Michael Phelps Quotes
41. “If you’re not on your ‘A’ game in our workouts every day, you’re going to get absolutely smoked.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
42. “Why is it such a big deal what I’m swimming?” ~ (Michael Phelps).
43. “I love to race the best people in the world and the fastest people in the world.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
44. “I try to separate my personal life from swimming.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
45. “I live a pretty conservative life, so I probably really haven’t done anything crazy.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
46. “Yeah, my friends call me Mike, Michael or just my last name.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
47. “I want to be able to look back and say, ‘I’ve done everything I can, and I was successful.’ I don’t want to look back and say I should have done this or that. I’d like to change things for the younger generation of swimmers coming along.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
48. “If I bring back only one gold people are going to say it’s a disappointment. But not too many of them own an Olympic gold medal so if I get one I’m going to be happy.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
49. “I know it won’t be eight medals again. If you want to compare me to that, that’s your decision, not mine. I’m going out there to try to accomplish the things that I have in my mind and in my heart.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
50. “Swimming is fun. It’s a lot funner than golf.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
51. “I finished my career the way I wanted to.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
52. “I believe in God; I’m not saying I’m highly religious.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
53. “I used to always go to church on holidays, but I don’t go much any more.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
54. “I’m so sick of the water.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
55. “I have the opportunity to be part of swimming history. To take the sport to a new level would be an honor for me. There’s no better time to try this than now.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
56. “If I didn’t swim my best, I’d think about it at school, at dinner, with my friends. It would drive me crazy.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
57. “I don’t like to be second in anything. I was trying, I just wasn’t going anywhere.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
Famous Michael Phelps Quotes
58. “I always thought it would be neat to make the Olympic team.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
59. “It’s cool just because I’ve had this dream of changing the sport of swimming and it’s finally happening.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
60. “I’ve always been fortunate in that I’ve been able to put myself in my own zone and relax. It comes naturally. I’m lucky to be that way.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
61. “I don’t have a strict diet. It’s all about cramming in as many calories into my system as I possibly can. To be honest with you, I have a tough time keeping weight on.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
62. “I’m the same kind of guy before all this happened.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
63. “Even in high school, I’d tell my mom I was sick of swimming and wanted to try to play golf. She wasn’t too happy. She’d say, ‘Think about this.’ And I’d always end up getting back in the pool.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
64. “The only reason I started swimming was for water safety. Then, once I started falling in love with sports, I got more comfortable with it.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
65. “Once I retire, I’m retiring. I’m done.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
66. “I am 26 and, and I don’t recover as fast as I have in the past.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
67. “Before, it came easy for me. I don’t have two speeds anymore. I need to focus on the small things that I once took for granted.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
68. “I grew up around the pool with my sisters. Both of my sisters swam. I was always there. So I thought, why not? My mom put us in the water for water safety, so we were comfortable in the water in case anything ever happened. I learned that way, and started liking it more and more.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
Motivational Michael Phelps Quotes
69. “It’s tough to put into words right now, but I finished my career how I wanted to. Through the ups and downs of my career I’ve still been able to do everything that I’ve ever wanted to accomplish.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
70. “One thing with me, and every goal I’ve had – – in the sport of swimming, my mother didn’t know my goals. The only person that knew my goals were my coaches.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
71. “I am excited to have the opportunity to help provide the same swim instruction that I received as a child when I was enrolled in a water safety class at five-years-old.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
Short Michael Phelps Quotes
72. “Being compared to Ian Thorpe, that could be one of the greatest compliments you could ever get in swimming – being compared to him and Mark Spitz.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
73. “Once I’m already in my room, I still have to open a door to get into my bed. It’s like a giant box. It’s like the boy in a bubble.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
74. “I wanted to do something nobody ever did. This goes hand in hand with my goal of changing swimming.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
75. “I think sometimes I guess you see records, say you want to get there and use that as motivation. In a way, it’s kind of cool if there is a possibility to rewrite history and be up there with the greats of Olympic history.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
76. “Not having to travel and being able to settle in has helped me in training life and school life. I’ve learned to get a grip and take care of myself.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
77. “My strategy is that I actually have absolutely no strategy.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
78. “I feel like Aaron brings out the best in me.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
79. “I see my goals as personal and I always have. That’s just been how I’ve worked.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
80. “I learned how fast you can go from being an international hero to being a reference in a joke on a late night talk show.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
81. “I treat every race the same. We all wanted to swim fast today and give something back to the crowd.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
Inspiring Michael Phelps Quotes
82. “This is my 20th year in the sport. I’ve known swimming and that’s it. I don’t want to swim past age 30; if I continue after this Olympics, and come back in 2016, I’ll be 31. I’m looking forward to being able to see the other side of the fence.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
83. “There is a one woman in China that claimed she paid $50 to get my e-mail address. It was pretty shocking. I got one this morning from Scotland. A girl’s requesting a signed photo of me.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
84. “I think to be – for me to be an American is – you know, it’s one of the greatest things in the world for – you know, for me just because I’ve been able to grow up with everything. The freedom. You know, in my eyes this is the greatest country in the world.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
85. “I’ve been able to get an excitement back in the water.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
86. “This is the first medal I’ve ever won in an international meet. For it to be gold is incredible. It feels great. I can’t explain it.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
87. “I consider myself normal. I’ve spent 20 years in the pool. I consider that something that’s normal.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
88. “We wanted to see how close we could get to the world record. We’ll take that for right now.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
89. “I think the biggest things I am looking forward to is getting new faces into the sport. Getting kids who could be afraid of water to feel comfortable in the pool.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
90. “So, you know, if I wanted to get up and just play golf one day, I would just get up and play golf. If I wanted to go to Vegas, I would just get up and go to Vegas.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
91. “You can make a million mistakes, just not the same one twice.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
92. “But a hero should be somebody who can lift up other people with his courage and dedication.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
93. “I’m doing this for me. If I don’t become as successful as you all think I would be or should be and you think it tarnishes my career, then that’s your own opinion. I’m doing this because I want to come back and I enjoy being in the pool and I enjoy being in the sport of swimming.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
94. “You’re tired; you feel you can’t move; you’re truly hurting. That’s when he would throw down especially hard sets.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
95. “My mom put me and my sisters in the water to feel comfortable, to have water safety.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
96. “I want to change the sport of swimming. I want people to talk about it, think about it, and look forward to seeing it. I want them to want to jump in and do it. That’s my goal.” After.” ~ (Michael Phelps).
97. “Every day after I wake up, I think, ‘Wait… this can’t be real; I’m still going to wake up.” ~ (Michael Phelps).