Giving compassion to people who have harmed us in any manner, even if they don’t “deserve” it, is what forgiveness is all about.
It’s not about rationalizing the offender’s behavior, nature or acting as if the offense never occurred.
Empathy, sympathy, and understanding for the person who has harmed you might result from forgiving them.
I have compiled a list of top quotes on forgiveness for you.
Best Forgiveness Quotes
1. “Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.” ~ John F. Kennedy.
2. “There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.” ~ Josh Billings
3. “Selfishness must always be forgiven you know, because there is no hope of a cure.” ~ Jane Austen
4. “It’s one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody.” ~ Maya Angelou
5. “Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it.” ~ Mark Twain.
6. “Many times, the decisions we make affect and hurt your closest friends and family the most. I have a lot of regrets in that regard. But God has forgiven me, which I am very thankful for. It has enabled me to forgive myself and move forward one day at a time.” ~ Lex Luger
7. “Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge and dares to forgive an injury.” ~ Edwin Hubbel Chapin
8. “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
9. “Anger makes you smaller, while forgiveness forces you to grow beyond what you were.” ~ Cherie Carter-Scott
10. “Forgiveness is a sign that the person who has wronged you means more to you than the wrong they have dealt.” ~ Ben Greenhalgh.
Powerful Forgiveness Quotes
11. “I free myself from hatred through forgiveness and love.” ~ Paulo Coelho
12. “You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.” ~ Lewis B. Smedes
13. “Forgiveness is the key that unlocks the door of resentment and the handcuffs of hatred. It is a power that breaks the chains of bitterness and the shackles of selfishness.” ~ Corrie ten Boom
14. “Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ~ Oscar Wilde
15. “Forgiveness is not a feeling; it is a commitment.” ~ Gary Chapman
16. “Forgiveness means it finally becomes unimportant that you hit back.” ~ Anne Lamott
17. “To err is human; to forgive, divine.” ~ Alexander Pope.
18. “I imagine one of the reasons people cling to their hates so stubbornly is because they sense, once hate is gone, they will be forced to deal with pain.” ~ James Baldwin
19. “When you forgive, you in no way change the past – but you sure do change the future.” ~ Bernard Meltzer
20. “We think that forgiveness is weakness, but it’s absolutely not; it takes a very strong person to forgive.” ~ T.D. Jakes
21. “True forgiveness is when you can say, “Thank you for that experience.”” ~ Oprah Winfrey
22. “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” ~ Lewis B. Smedes.
Great Forgiveness Quotes
23. “Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.” ~ Suzanne Somers
24. “Forgiveness is not always easy. At times, it feels more painful than the wound we suffered, to forgive the one that inflicted it. And yet, there is no peace without forgiveness.” ~ Marianne Williamson
25. “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ~ John Green
26. “Hanging onto resentment is letting someone you despise live rent-free in your head.” ~ Ann Landers
27. “Anytime you try to be a loving person, you’re doing your part to save the world.” ~ Marianne Williamson
28. “There is no revenge so complete as forgiveness.” ~ Josh Billings
29. “Forgiveness is not an occasional act, it is a constant attitude.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
30. “Forgiveness is a virtue of the brave.” ~ Indira Gandhi.
31. “If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness and fears.” ~ Cesare Pavese
32. “Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
33. “He who is devoid of the power to forgive is devoid of the power to love.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
34. “A mistake is always forgivable, rarely excusable and always unacceptable.” ~ Robert Fripp
35. “We cannot embrace God’s forgiveness if we are so busy clinging to past wounds and nursing old grudges.” ~ T. D. Jakes.
Famous Forgiveness Quotes
36. “Only the brave know how to forgive… a coward never forgave; it is not in his nature.” ~ Laurence Sterne
37. “He who cannot forgive breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass.” ~ George Herbert
38. “People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter and move on.” ~ Bill Cosby
39. “Forgiveness is a funny thing. It warms the heart and cools the sting.” ~ William Arthur Ward
40. “When you hold resentment toward another, you are bound to that person or condition by an emotional link that is stronger than steel. Forgiveness is the only way to dissolve that link and get free.” ~ Catherine Ponder
41. “Never does the human soul appear so strong as when it foregoes revenge and dares to forgive an injury.” ~ Edwin Hubbel Chapin
42. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
43. “When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn’t work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.” ~ Emo Philips
44. “The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.” ~ Thomas Szasz
45. “Forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.” ~ Suzanne Somers
46. “Forgiveness is the economy of the heart… forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.” ~ Hannah
47. “More anger begets more anger, and forgiveness and love lead to more forgiveness and love.” ~ Mahavira.
48. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” ~ Marianne Williamson.
Top Forgiveness Quotes
49. “Forgiveness is not a feeling – it’s a decision we make because we want to do what’s right before God. It’s a quality decision that won’t be easy and it may take time to get through the process, depending on the severity of the offense.” ~ Joyce Meyer
50. “I place an enormous premium on loyalty. If someone betrays me, I can forgive them rationally, but emotionally I have found it impossible to do so.” ~ Richard E. Grant
51. “Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning.” ~ Desmond Tutu
52. “The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.” ~ Marianne Williamson
53. “Forgiveness is the final form of love.” ~ Reinhold Niebuhr.
54. “One forgives to the degree that one loves.” ~ Francois de La Rochefoucauld
55. “I can forgive but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I cannot forgive.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
56. “Strength of character means the ability to overcome resentment against others, to hide hurt feelings, and to forgive quickly.” ~ Lawrence G. Lovasik.
Inspiring Forgiveness Quotes
57. “The forgiving state of mind is a magnetic power for attracting good.” ~ Catherine Ponder
58. “I can forgive, but I cannot forget, is only another way of saying, I will not forgive. Forgiveness ought to be like a cancelled note – torn in two, and burned up, so that it never can be shown against one.” ~ Henry Ward Beecher
59. “The ability to forgive is one of man’s greatest achievements.” ~ Bryant H. McGill
60. “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” ~ Lewis B. Smedes
61. “It’s not an easy journey to get to a place where you forgive people. But it is such a powerful place, because it frees you.” ~ Tyler Perry
62. “Never forget the three powerful resources you always have available to you: love, prayer, and forgiveness.” ~ H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
63. “It is often easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.” ~ Grace Hopper
64. “When a deep injury is done us, we never recover until we forgive.” ~ Alan Paton
65. “Children begin by loving their parents; after a time they judge them; rarely, if ever, do they forgive them.” ~ Oscar Wilde
66. “I invite everyone to choose forgiveness rather than division, teamwork over personal ambition.” ~ Jean-Francois Cope
67. “Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge.” ~ Scott Adams
68. “The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi
69. “Forgive yourself for your faults and your mistakes and move on.” ~ Les Brown
70. “If we really want to love we must learn how to forgive.” ~ Mother Teresa
71. “Holding on to anger, resentment and hurt only gives you tense muscles, a headache and a sore jaw from clenching your teeth. Forgiveness gives you back the laughter and the lightness in your life.” ~ Joan Lunden
72. “He that cannot forgive others, breaks the bridge over which he himself must pass if he would ever reach heaven; for everyone has need to be forgiven.” ~ George Herbert
73. “It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend.” ~ William Blake.