Marriage also referred to as wedlock or matrimony is a legally acknowledged union between two individuals.
It is an intricate mosaic built through countless tiny moments that together create a unique love story.
Fundamental to marriage are elements like love, trust, commitment, loyalty, communication and understanding.
However, maintaining a successful marriage requires concerted efforts from both partners.
Thoughtful marriage quotes can serve as valuable insights into the true essence of this lifelong bond, shedding light on what it takes to ensure a lasting and successful union.
This collection of 57 marriage quotes aims to offer valuable insights into the nature and essence of marriage, emphasizing the integral aspects required for a prosperous marital journey.
Best Marriage Quotes
1. Happy is the man who finds a true friend, and far happier is he who finds that true friend in his wife. ~ Franz Schubert.
2. “Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone; it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new.” ~ Ursula K. Le Guin
3. “Don’t marry the person you think you can live with; marry only the individual you think you can’t live without.” ~ James Dobson.
4. “Marriage is not a ritual or an end. It is a long, intricate, intimate dance together and nothing matters more than your own sense of balance and your choice of partner.” ~ Amy Bloom
5. “Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
6. “If there is such a thing as a good marriage, it is because it resembles friendship rather than love.” ~ Michel de Montaigne.
7. “Remember that children, marriages, and flower gardens reflect the kind of care they get.” ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr.
Famous Marriage Quotes
8. “A good marriage is where both people feel like they’re getting the better end of the deal.” ~ Anne Lamott.
9. “Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
10. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are but how you deal with incompatibility.” ~ Leo Tolstoy.
11. “You can measure the happiness of a marriage by the number of scars that each partner carries on their tongues, earned from years of biting back angry words.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert.
12. “The value of marriage is not that adults produce children, but that children produce adults.” ~ Peter De Vries
13. “Before marriage, a girl has to make love to a man to hold him. After marriage, she has to hold him to make love to him.” ~ Marilyn Monroe
14. “Marriage is like putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the hope of pulling out an eel.” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
15. “Some people claim that marriage interferes with romance. There’s no doubt about it. Anytime you have a romance, your wife is bound to interfere.” ~ Groucho Marx.
Inspiring Marriage Quotes
16. “Marriage becomes hard work once you have poured the entirety of your life’s expectations for happiness into the hands of one mere person. Keeping that going is hard work.” ~ Elizabeth Gilbert
17. “A marriage is always made up of two people who are prepared to swear that only the other one snores.” ~ Terry Pratchett
18. “Many marriages would be better if the husband and wife clearly understood that they’re on the same side.” ~ Zig Ziglar.
19. “Love without truth is sentimentality; it supports and affirms us but keeps us in denial about our flaws. Truth without love is harshness; it gives us information but in such a way that we cannot really hear it.” ~ Timothy Keller
20. “Let us now set forth one of the fundamental truths about marriage: the wife is in charge.” ~ Bill Cosby
21. “I think of how each person in a marriage owes it to the other to find individual happiness, even in a shared life. That this is the only way to grow together, instead of apart.” ~ Emily Giffin
22. “A great marriage is not when the perfect couple comes together. It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.” ~ Dave Meurer.
23. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” ~ Friedrich Nietzsche.
24. “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.” ~ Clint Eastwood.
Top Marriage Quotes
25. “Come grow old with me. The best is yet to be.” ~ William Wordsworth
26. “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.” ~ Mignon McLaughlin
27. “Live so that when your children think of fairness, caring, and integrity, they think of you.” ~ H. Jackson Brown Jr.
28. “Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.” ~ Bruce Lee
29. “The greatest weakness of most humans is their hesitancy to tell others how much they love them while they’re alive.” ~ O. A. Battista.
Popular Marriage Quotes
30. “Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed.” ~ Albert Einstein
31. “How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.” ~ Oscar Wilde
32. “In the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.” ~ Paul McCartney
33. “If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don’t, they never were.” ~ Khalil Gibran
34. “There is no remedy for love, but to love more.” ~ Henry David Thoreau
35. “Don’t worry that children never listen to you; worry that they are always watching you.” ~ Robert Fulghum
36. “A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he’s finished.” ~ Zsa Zsa Gabor
37. “Love is an ideal thing, marriage a real thing.” ~ Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
38. “We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.” ~ Tom Robbins
39. “In solitude, where we are least alone.” ~ Lord Byron
40. A good husband makes a good wife. ~ John Florio.
Great Marriage Quotes
41. “Years of love have been forgot, In the hatred of a minute.” ~ Edgar Allan Poe.
42. “I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.” ~ Mother Teresa.
43. “We loved with a love that was more than love.” ~ Edgar Allan Poe.
44. “Marriage is an alliance entered into by a man who can’t sleep with the window shut, and a woman who can’t sleep with the window open.” ~ George Bernard Shaw.
45. A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person. Mignon McLaughlin
46. “An archaeologist is the best husband a woman can have. The older she gets the more interested he is in her.” ~ Agatha Christie.
47. “What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.” ~ Mother Teresa.
48. “In my house I’m the boss, my wife is just the decision maker.” ~ Woody Allen
49. “When I have learned to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now.” ~ C. S. Lewis
50. “The problem with marriage is that it ends every night after making love, and it must be rebuilt every morning before breakfast.” ~ Gabriel García Márquez
Wise Marriage Quotes
51. “Marriage: If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently. You shield it and protect it. You never abuse it. You don’t expose it to the elements. You don’t make it common or ordinary. If it ever becomes tarnished, you lovingly polish it until it gleams like new. It becomes special because you have made it so, and it grows more beautiful and precious as time goes by.” ~ F. Burton Howard
52. “Love like there’s no tomorrow, and if tomorrow comes, love again.” ~ Max Lucado.
53. “There is no greater happiness for a man than approaching a door at the end of a day knowing someone on the other side of that door is waiting for the sound of his footsteps.” ~ Ronald Reagan
54. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love.” ~ Washington Irving.
55. A good marriage would be between a blind wife and a deaf husband. ~ Michel de Montaigne.
56. Marriage is like a cage; one sees the birds outside desperate to get in, and those inside equally desperate to get out. ~ Michel de Montaigne.
57. The secret to a happy marriage is if you can be at peace with someone within four walls, if you are content because the one you love is near to you, either upstairs or downstairs, or in the same room, and you feel that warmth that you don’t find very often, then that is what love is all about. ~ Bruce Forsyth.