Robert Greene, born May 14, 1959, is a renowned American author known for his books on strategy, power and seduction.
He has penned six international bestsellers such as “The 48 Laws of Power” and “The Art of Seduction.”
Although he offers various strategies in his books, Greene admits not following all his advice, suggesting it would make one unbearable.
Growing up in Los Angeles, Greene attended the University of California, Berkeley and graduated from the University of Wisconsin–Madison with a degree in classical studies.
Before his literary fame, Greene had a diverse work history, spanning from construction to Hollywood writing. His career pivot occurred after pitching a book on power in 1995, which became his breakout title.
“The 48 Laws of Power” (1998): Describes the amoral nature of power using historical examples. The book has sold over 1.2 million copies and is referenced by numerous celebrities.
“The Art of Seduction” (2001): Explores the art of seduction, selling over 500,000 copies.
“The 33 Strategies of War” (2007): Divulges military wisdom, selling more than 200,000 copies.
“The 50th Law” (2009): Co-written with rapper 50 Cent, it mixes strategy with fearlessness.
“Mastery” (2012): Discusses the path to achieving mastery using historical figures.
“The Laws of Human Nature” (2018): Delves into human drives and biases.
Greene resides in Los Angeles with his filmmaker wife, Anna Biller. He is a polyglot, Zen Buddhism student, mentor to author Ryan Holiday and a supporter of liberal politics.
He faced health challenges in 2018 after suffering a stroke caused by a bee sting but has continued his literary contributions.
I have collected a list of smartest quotes from Robert Greene.
Best Robert Greene Quotes
1. “The time that leads to mastery is dependent on the intensity of our focus.” ~ (Robert Greene).
2. “The future belongs to those who learn more skills and combine them in creative ways.” ~ (Robert Greene).
3. “If the happiness and prosperity of other people depend on you, you have nothing to fear anymore.” ~ Robert Greene.
4. “The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart.” ~ Robert Greene.
5. “Everyone has to defend himself.” ~ Robert Greene.
6. “A mind content both crown and kingdom is.” ~ Robert Greene.
7. “Creative endeavors are by their nature uncertain.” ~ Robert Greene.
8. “Love is a lock that linketh noble minds.” ~ Robert Greene.
9. “Increase your power and your image will gain reliability.” ~ Robert Greene.
10. “Mastery is not a function of genius or talent. It is a function of time and intense focus applied to a particular field of knowledge.” ~ (Robert Greene).
11. “Lord, protect me from my friends; I can take care of my enemies.” ~ (Robert Greene).
Popular Robert Greene Quotes
12. “You must always be prepared to place a bet on yourself, on your future, by heading in a direction that others seem to fear.” ~ (Robert Greene).
13. “Boldness makes even the smallest animal dangerous.” ~ (Robert Greene).
14. “Be Royal in your Own Fashion: Act like a King to be treated.” ~ (Robert Greene).
15. “Mistakes and failures are precisely your means of education. They tell you about your own inadequacies.” ~ (Robert Greene).
16. “Grand strategy is the art of looking beyond the present battle and calculating ahead. Focus on your ultimate goal and plot to reach it.” ~ (Robert Greene).
17. “Mastery is not a question of genetics of luck, but of following your natural inclinations and the deep desires that stirs you from within.” ~ (Robert Greene).
18. “Only create associations with positive affinities. Make this a rule of life and you will benefit more than from all the therapy in the world.” ~ (Robert Greene).
19. “The moment people feel they know what to expect from you, your spell on them is broken.” ~ (Robert Greene).
Top Robert Greene Quotes
20. “Never waste valuable time, or mental peace of mind, on the affairs of others – that is too high a price to pay.” ~ (Robert Greene).
21. “The human tongue is a beast that few can master.” ~ (Robert Greene).
22. “Be brutal with the past, especially your own, and have no respect for the philosophies that are foisted on you from outside.” ~ (Robert Greene).
23. “No moment is wasted if you pay attention and learn the lessons contained in every experience.” ~ (Robert Greene).
24. “Actually, your past successes are your biggest obstacle: every battle, every war, is different, and you cannot assume that what worked before will work today.” ~ (Robert Greene).
25. “If you have no enemies, find a way to make them.” ~ (Robert Greene).
26. “For the future, the motto is, “No days unalert.”” ~ (Robert Greene).
27. “You cannot make anything worthwhile in this world unless you have first developed and transformed yourself.” ~ (Robert Greene).
28. “Hasty climbers have sudden falls.” ~ (Robert Greene).
29. “Life goes by very fast. And the worst thing in life that you can have is a job that you hate, that you have no energy in, that you’re not creative with and you’re not thinking of the future. To me, might as well be dead.” ~ (Robert Greene).
Famous Robert Greene Quotes
30. “Keep your friends for friendship, but work with the skilled and competent.” ~ (Robert Greene).
31. “Real action and true helpfulness are perhaps the ultimate charm.” ~ (Robert Greene).
32. “The conventional mind is passive – it consumes information and regurgitates it in familiar forms. The dimensional mind is active, transforming everything it digests into something new and original, creating instead of consuming.” ~ (Robert Greene).
33. “The world wants to assign you a role in life. And once you accept that role you are doomed.” ~ (Robert Greene).
34. “Deception is a developed art of civilization and the most potent weapon in the game of power.” ~ (Robert Greene).
35. “Do not envy those who seem to be naturally gifted; it is often a curse, as such types rarely learn the value of diligence and focus, and they pay for this later in life.” ~ (Robert Greene).
36. “People around you, constantly under the pull of their emotions, change their ideas by the day or by the hour, depending on their mood. You must never assume that what people say or do in a particular moment is a statement of their permanent desires.” ~ (Robert Greene).
Inspiring Robert Greene Quotes
37. “Never take your position for granted and never let any favors you receive go to your head.” ~ (Robert Greene).
38. “Defeat Them in Detail: The Divide and Conquer Strategy. Look at the parts and determine how to control the individual parts, create dissension and leverage it.” ~ (Robert Greene).
39. “There is nothing more intoxicating than victory, and nothing more dangerous.” ~ (Robert Greene).
40. “When our emotions are engaged, we often have trouble seeing things as they are.” ~ (Robert Greene).
41. “The need for certainty is the greatest disease the Mind faces.” ~ (Robert Greene).
42. “We must create our own world or we will die from inaction.” ~ (Robert Greene).
Short Robert Greene Quotes
43. “Any titles, money, or privilege you inherit are actually hindrances. They delude you into believing you are owed respect.” ~ (Robert Greene).
44. “No one is really going to help you or give you direction. In fact, the odds are against you.” ~ (Robert Greene).
45. “Do not leave your reputation to chance or gossip; it is your life’s artwork, and you must craft it, hone it, and display it with the care of an artist.” ~ (Robert Greene).
46. “Be as fluid as water, do not give your enemies anything solid to attack.” ~ (Robert Greene).
47. “People are more complicated than the masks they wear in society.” ~ (Robert Greene).
48. “If I could simplify the whole game of power and strategy in one equation, it would all hinge on the capacity to see events around you exactly as they are. The closer your mind is to reality, the better your strategies, your responses in life.” ~ (Robert Greene).
49. “It is the fool who always rushes to take sides. Do not commit to any side or cause by yourself. By maintaining your independence, you become the master of others – playing people against one another, making them pursue you.” ~ (Robert Greene).
50. “Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter.” ~ (Robert Greene).
Inspirational Robert Greene Quotes
51. “Always say less than necessary.” ~ (Robert Greene).
52. “Be relentless in your pursuit for expansion.” ~ (Robert Greene).
53. “True genius, in strategy or anywhere, lies in self-control, self-mastery, presence of mind, fluidity of thought.” ~ (Robert Greene).
54. “Never whine, never complain, never try to justify yourself.” ~ (Robert Greene).
55. “When it comes to mastering a skill, time is the magic ingredient.” ~ (Robert Greene).
56. “Win through your actions, never through argument.” ~ (Robert Greene).
57. “If you’re just letting the time pass at your job, it’s just dead time and you’ll never get it back. If at that job you’re learning and you’re observing and you’re seeing about people and connections, it’s suddenly alive time.” ~ (Robert Greene).