Ada King, Countess of Lovelace, born Augusta Ada Byron was an English mathematician and collaborator with Charles Babbage on the early digital computer prototype.
Often referred to as the first computer programmer, Lovelace created a program for Babbage’s machine.
She was the daughter of famous poet Lord Byron and Annabella Milbanke Byron.
Despite her father’s absence and her parents’ separation after her birth, Lovelace was educated privately and received advanced studies guidance from Augustus De Morgan, the first mathematics professor at the University of London.
Lovelace gained interest in Babbage’s machines in 1833 and in 1843, she translated and annotated Luigi Federico Menabrea’s article on Babbage’s Analytical Machine.
Lovelace’s contributions to science, technology, engineering and mathematics are honored on Ada Lovelace Day, held on the second Tuesday in October.
In this article, I have listed the top Ada Lovelace quotes.
Best Ada Lovelace Quotes
1. “That brain of mine is something more than merely mortal; as time will show.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
2. “The more I study, the more insatiable do I feel my genius for it to be.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
3. “Understand well as I may, my comprehension can only be an infinitesimal fraction of all I want to understand.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
4. “The intellectual, the moral, the religious seem to me all naturally bound up and interlinked together in one great and harmonious whole.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
5. “Thus not only the mental and the material, but the theoretical and the practical in the mathematical world, are brought into more intimate and effective connection with each other.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
6. “A new, a vast, and a powerful language is developed for the future use of analysis, in which to wield its truths so that these may become of more speedy and accurate practical application for the purposes of mankind than the means hitherto in our possession have rendered possible.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
7. “If you can’t give me poetry, can’t you give me poetical science?” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
8. “The Analytical Engine, on the contrary, can either add, subtract, multiply or divide with equal facility; and performs each of these four operations in a direct manner, without the aid of any of the other three.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
Top Ada Lovelace Quotes
9. “The Analytical Engine is an embodying of the science of operations, constructed with peculiar reference to abstract number as the subject of those operations.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
10. “In abstract mathematics, of course operations alter those particular relations which are involved in the considerations of number and space, and the results of operations are those peculiar results which correspond to the nature of the subjects of operation.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
11. “One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
12. “But the science of operations, as derived from mathematics more especially, is a science of itself, and has its own abstract truth and value; just as logic has its own peculiar truth and value, independently of the subjects to which we may apply its reasonings and processes.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
13. “The Analytical Engine weaves algebraic patterns, just as the Jacquard loom weaves flowers and leaves.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
14. “In enabling mechanism to combine together general symbols in successions of unlimited variety and extent, a uniting link is established between the operations of matter and the abstract mental processes of the most abstract branch of mathematical science.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
15. “It may be desirable to explain, that by the word operation, we mean any process which alters the mutual relation of two or more things, be this relation of what kind it may. This is the most general definition, and would include all subjects in the universe.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
16. “I am in a charming state of confusion.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
17. “The object of the engine is in fact to give the utmost practical efficiency to the resources of numerical interpretations of the higher science of analysis, while it uses the processes and combinations of this latter.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
Famous Ada Lovelace Quotes
18. “This one fact implies everything; and it is scarcely necessary to point out, for instance, that while the Difference Engine can merely tabulate, and is incapable of developing, the Analytical Engine can either tabulate or develop.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
19. “One main reason why the separate nature of the science of operations has been little felt, and in general little dwelt on, is the shifting meaning of many of the symbols used in mathematical notation. First, the symbols of operation are frequently also the symbols of the results of operations.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
20. “We cannot forbear suggesting one practical result which it appears to us must be greatly facilitated by the independent manner in which the engine orders and combines its operations: we allude to the attainment of those combinations into which imaginary quantities enter.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
21. “It is however pretty evident, on general principles, that in devising for mathematical truths a new form in which to record and throw themselves out for actual use, views are likely to be induced, which should again react on the more theoretical phase of the subject.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).
22. “I don’t wish to be without my brains, tho’ they doubtless interfere with a blind faith which would be very comfortable.” ~ (Ada Lovelace).