James Monroe was the fifth president of the United States from 1817 until 1825. He was an American leader, lawyer, diplomat, and Founding Father.
Monroe was the final president of the Virginia dynasty, and his reign corresponded with the Era of Good Feelings. He was a member of the Democratic-Republican Party.
We have picked some of the best quotes from James Monroe for you.
James Monroe Quotes
1. “In a representative republic, the education of our children must be of the utmost importance!” ~ (James Monroe).
2. “We must support our rights or lose our character, and with it, perhaps, our liberties.” ~ (James Monroe).
3. “The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals.” ~ (James Monroe).
4. “History has shown that at least one-half of every century is consumed in war.” ~ (James Monroe).
5. “Peace is the best time for improvement and preparation of every kind; it is in peace that our commerce flourishes most, that taxes are most easily paid, and that the revenue is most productive.” ~ (James Monroe).
6. “There is a price tag on human liberty. That price is the willingness to assume the responsibilities of being free men. Payment of this price is a personal matter with each of us.” ~ (James Monroe).
7. “The mention of Greece fills the mind with the most exalted sentiments and arouses in our bosoms the best feelings of which our nature is capable.” ~ (James Monroe).
8. “It is only when the people become ignorant and corrupt, when they degenerate into a populace, that they are incapable of exercising their sovereignty.” ~ (James Monroe).
9. “A free, virtuous, and enlightened people must know full well the great principles and causes upon which their happiness depends.” ~ (James Monroe).
10. “There is every reason to believe that our system will soon attain the highest degree of perfection of which human institutions are capable.” ~ (James Monroe).
11. “Our country may be likened to a new house. We lack many things, but we possess the most precious of all – liberty!” ~ (James Monroe).
12. “A little flattery will support a man through great fatigue.” ~ (James Monroe).
Popular James Monroe Quotes
13. “It is better to spread trust all around than to hand out money!” ~ (James Monroe).
14. “The civil war which has so long prevailed between Spain and the Provinces in South America still continues, without any prospect of its speedy termination.” ~ (James Monroe).
15. “National honor is the national property of the highest value.” ~ (James Monroe).
16. “I have great satisfaction in stating that our relations with France, Russia, and other powers continue on the most friendly basis.” ~ (James Monroe).
17. “I regret that I should leave this world without again beholding him.” ~ (James Monroe).
18. “The emigrants although of different parties and different religious sects all flew from persecution in pursuit of liberty.” ~ (James Monroe).
19. “Let us by wise and constitutional measures promote intelligence among the people as the best means of preserving our liberties.” ~ (James Monroe).
20. “Preparation for war is a constant stimulus to suspicion and ill will.” ~ (James Monroe).
21. “The best form of government is that which is most likely to prevent the greatest sum of evil.” ~ (James Monroe).
22. “The liberty, prosperity, and the happiness of our country will always be the object of my most fervent prayers to the Supreme Author of All Good.” ~ (James Monroe).
23. “The earth was given to mankind to support the greatest number of which it is capable, and no tribe or people have a right to withhold from the wants of others more than is necessary for their own support and comfort.” ~ (James Monroe).
Top James Monroe Quotes
24. “While we assert for ourselves a freedom to embrace, to profess, and to observe, the Religion which we believe to be of divine origin, we cannot deny an equal freedom to them whose minds have not yielded to the evidence which has convinced us.”
25. “By the last returns to the Department of War the militia force of the several States may be estimated at 800,000 men – infantry, artillery, and cavalry.” ~ (James Monroe).
26. “If America wants concessions, she must fight for them. We must purchase our power with our blood.” ~ (James Monroe).
27. “The payments which have been made into the Treasury show the very productive state of the public revenue.” ~ (James Monroe).
28. “The American continents, by the free and independent condition by which they have assumed and maintained, are henceforth not to be considered as subjects for future colonization by any European powers.” ~ (James Monroe).
29. “The movements of a great nation are connected in all their parts. If errors have been committed they ought to be corrected; if the policy is sound it ought to be supported.” ~ (James Monroe).
30. “From several of the Indian tribes inhabiting the country bordering on Lake Erie purchases have been made of lands on conditions very favorable to the United States, and, as it is presumed, not less so to the tribes themselves.” ~ (James Monroe).
31. “If it was wise, manly, and patriotic for us to establish a free government, it is equally wise to attend to the necessary means of its preservation.” ~ (James Monroe).
32. “To impose taxes when the public exigencies require them is an obligation of the most sacred character, especially with a free people.” ~ (James Monroe).
Famous James Monroe Quotes
33. “If we look to the history of other nations, ancient or modern, we find no example of a growth so rapid, so gigantic, of a people so prosperous and happy.” ~ (James Monroe).
34. “In wars of the European powers in matters relating to themselves we have never taken any part, nor does it comport with our policy so to do.” ~ (James Monroe).
Short James Monroe Quotes
35. “At no period of our political existence had we so much cause to felicitate ourselves at the prosperous and happy condition of our country.” ~ (James Monroe).
36. “The great increase of our population throughout the Union will alone produce an important effect, and in no quarter will it be so sensibly felt as in those in contemplation.” ~ (James Monroe).
37. “Our relations with the other powers of Europe have experienced no essential change since the last session.” ~ (James Monroe).