Erwin Rommel was a German officer and military strategist who lived during World War II.
He was known as the Desert Fox for his service as a field marshal in Nazi Germany’s Wehrmacht (armed forces) during World War II, as well as in the Reichswehr of the Weimar Republic and Imperial Germany’s army.
He wrote Infantry Attacks.
I have collected the best quotes of Erwin Rommel for you.
Inspirational Erwin Rommel Quotes
1. “Don’t fight a battle if you don’t gain anything by winning.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
2. “A risk is a chance you take; if it fails you can recover. A gamble is a chance taken; if it fails, recovery is impossible.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
3. “Sweat saves blood, blood saves lives, but brains saves both.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
4. “If I had to take hell, I would use the Australians to take it and the New Zealanders to hold it.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
5. “In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
6. “For me, soldiers are all equal. Those black people wore your same uniform, fought on your side, and so you will be in the same jail.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
7. “It is often possible to decide the issue of a battle merely by making an unexpected shift of one’s main weight.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
8. “Loose lips sink ships.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
9. “Always in a moment of extreme danger things can be done which had previously been thought impossible.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
10. “The battle is fought and decided by the quartermasters, long before the shooting begins.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
11. “The German soldier has impressed the world, however, the Italian Bersagliere soldier has impressed the German soldier.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
Best Erwin Rommel Quotes
12. “Winning the men’s confidence requires much of a commander. He must exercise care and caution, look after his men, live under the same hardships, and above all apply self-discipline. But once he has their confidence, his men will follow him through hell and high water.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
13. “There is one unalterable difference between a soldier and a civilian: the civilian never does more than he is paid to do.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
14. “I would rather be the hammer than the anvil.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
15. “Whether I would survive a defeat lies in God’s hands. The lot of the vanquished is heavy. I’m happy in my own conscience that I’ve done all I can for victory and have not spared myself.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
16. “Men are basically smart or dumb and lazy or ambitious. The dumb and ambitious ones are dangerous and I get rid of them. The dumb and lazy ones I give mundane duties. The smart ambitious ones I put on my staff. The smart and lazy ones I make my commanders.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
17. “Be an example to your men, in your duty, and in private life. Never spare yourself, and let the troops see that you don’t in your endurance of fatigue and privation. Always be tactful and well-mannered and teach your subordinates to do the same. Avoid excessive sharpness or harshness of voice, which usually indicates the man who has shortcomings of his own to hide.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
18. “One of the most important factors, not only in military matters but in life as a whole, is … the ability to direct one’s whole energies towards the fulfillment of a particular task.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
Top Erwin Rommel Quotes
19. “Training errors are recorded on paper. Tactical errors are etched in stone.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
20. “When there’s no clear option, it’s better to do nothing.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
21. “In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
22. “The commander must be at constant pains to keep his troops abreast of all the latest tactical experience and developments, and must insist on their practical application. He must see to it that his subordinates are trained in accordance with the latest requirements. The best form of welfare for the troops is first-class training, for this saves unnecessary casualties.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
23. “The art of concentrating strength at one point, forcing a breakthrough, rolling up and securing the flanks on either side, and then penetrating like lightning deep into his rear, before the enemy has time to react.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
Famous Erwin Rommel Quotes
24. “Manstein is a man of illusions. … He believes Hitler will listen to facts.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
25. “One cannot permit unique opportunities to slip by for the sake of trifles.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
Short Erwin Rommel Quotes
26. “Mortal danger is an effective antidote for fixed ideas.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
27. “Messages can’t be intercepted if they aren’t sent, can they?” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
28. “In Tunisia, the Americans had to pay a stiff price for their experience, but it brought rich dividends. Even at that time, the American generals showed themselves to be very advanced in the tactical handling of their forces, although we had to wait until the Patton Army in France to see the most astonishing achievements in mobile warfare.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).
29. “Give me the Maori Battalion and I will conquer the world”. ~ (Erwin Rommel).
30. “No plan survives contact with the enemy.” ~ (Erwin Rommel).