James Allen was a pioneer of the self-help movement and a British philosopher noted for his inspiring writings and poems.
Since its publication in 1903, his best-known book, As a Man Thinketh, has been mass-produced. Motivational and self-help authors have drawn inspiration from it.
We have collected a list of best quotes from James Allen for you.
Best James Allen Quotes
1. “Self-control is strength. Right thought is mastery. Calmness is power.” ~ (James Allen).
2. “As a man thinketh in his heart, so shall he be.” ~ (James Allen).
3. “You are today where your thoughts have brought you; you will be tomorrow where your thoughts take you.” ~ (James Allen).
4. “There can be no progress, no achievement without sacrifice.” ~ (James Allen).
5. “He who would accomplish little need sacrifice little; he who would achieve much must sacrifice much. He who would attain highly must sacrifice greatly.” ~ (James Allen).
6. “Men are anxious to improve their circumstances, but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound.” ~ (James Allen).
7. “The greatest achievement was at first and for a time a dream. The oak sleeps in the acorn, the bird waits in the egg, and in the highest vision of the soul a waking angel stirs. Dreams are the seedlings of realities.” ~ (James Allen).
8. “In all human affairs there are efforts, and there are results, and the strength of the effort is the measure of the result.” ~ (James Allen).
9. “A person is limited only by the thoughts that he chooses.” ~ (James Allen).
10. “The vision that you glorify in your mind, the Ideal that you enthrone in your heart – this you will build your life by, this you will become.” ~ (James Allen).
11. “Circumstance does not make the man; it reveals him to himself.” ~ (James Allen).
12. “As he thinks, so he is; as he continues to think, so he remains.” ~ (James Allen).
13. “A man is literally what he thinks, his character being the complete sum of all his thoughts.” ~ (James Allen).
14. “As the physically weak man can make himself strong by careful and patient training, so the man of weak thoughts can make them strong by exercising himself in right thinking.” ~ (James Allen).
15. “Men do not attract that which they want, but that which they are.” ~ (James Allen).
16. “Mind is the master weaver, both of the inner garment of character and the outer garment of circumstance.” ~ (James Allen).
Popular James Allen Quotes
17. “You will become as small as your controlling desire; as great as your dominant aspiration.” ~ (James Allen).
18. “To desire is to obtain; to aspire is to achieve.” ~ (James Allen).
19. “A strong man cannot help a weaker unless the weaker is willing to be helped, and even then the weak man must become strong of himself; he must, by his own efforts, develop the strength which he admires in another. None but himself can alter his condition.” ~ (James Allen).
20. “The key to happiness is having dreams; the key to success is making them come true.” ~ (James Allen).
21. “No man is hindered by another; he is only hindered by himself. No man suffers because of another; he suffers only because of himself.” ~ (James Allen).
22. “The dreamers are the saviors of the world.” ~ (James Allen).
23. “As the plant springs from, and could not be without, the seed, so every act of man springs from the hidden seeds of thought, and could not have appeared without them.” ~ (James Allen).
24. “A man can only rise, conquer, and achieve by lifting up his thoughts.” ~ (James Allen).
Top James Allen Quotes
25. “The outer conditions of a person’s life will always be found to reflect their inner beliefs.” ~ (James Allen).
26. “Suffering is always the effect of wrong thought in some direction. It is an indication that the individual is out of harmony with himself, with the Law of his being.” ~ (James Allen).
27. “The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors; that which it loves, and also that which it fears.” ~ (James Allen).
28. “Thought is the fountain of action, life and manifestation; make the fountain pure, and all will be pure.” ~ (James Allen).
29. “Man is made or unmade by himself. In the armory of thought he forges the weapons by which he destroys himself. He also fashions the tools with which he builds for himself heavenly mansions of joy and strength and peace.” ~ (James Allen).
30. “There can be no progress nor achievement without sacrifice, and a man’s worldly success will be by the measure that he sacrifices his confused animal thoughts, and fixes his mind on the development of his plans, and the strengthening of his resolution and self-reliance.” ~ (James Allen).
31. “Man’s mind may be likened to a garden, which may be intelligently cultivated or allowed to run wild.” ~ (James Allen).
32. “A particular train of thought persisted in, be it good or bad, cannot fail to produce its results on the character and circumstances. A man cannot directly choose his circumstances, but he can choose his thoughts, and so indirectly, yet surely, shape his circumstances.” ~ (James Allen).
33. “The body is the servant of the mind. It obeys the operations of the mind, whether they be deliberately chosen or automatically expressed.” ~ (James Allen).
34. “He who cherishes a beautiful vision, a lofty ideal in his heart, will one day realize it.” ~ (James Allen).
35. “Think lovingly, speak lovingly, act lovingly, and every need shall be supplied.” ~ (James Allen).
36. “Man is buffeted by circumstances so long as he believes himself to be the creature of outside conditions, but when he realizes that he is a creative power, and that he may command the hidden soil and seeds of his being out of which circumstances grow, he then becomes the rightful master of himself.” ~ (James Allen).
37. “Every action and feeling is preceded by a thought.” ~ (James Allen).
38. “Your circumstances may be uncongenial, but they shall not long remain so if you but perceive an Ideal and strive to reach it.” ~ (James Allen).
Famous James Allen Quotes
39. “Act is the blossom of thought; and joy and suffering are its fruits; thus does a man garner in the sweet and biter fruitage of his own husbandry.” ~ (James Allen).
40. “The man who thinks hateful thoughts brings hatred upon himself. The man who thinks loving thoughts is loved.” ~ (James Allen).
41. “The circumstances which a man encounters with suffering are the result of his own mental inharmony.” ~ (James Allen).
42. “The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors; that which it loves, and also that which it fears. It reaches the height of its cherished aspirations. It falls to the level of its unchastened desires – and circumstances are the means by which the soul receives its own.” ~ (James Allen).
43. “Fixedness of purpose is the root of all successful efforts.” ~ (James Allen).
44. “He thinks in secret, and it comes to pass: environment is but his looking glass.” ~ (James Allen).
45. “The will to do springs from the knowledge that we can do.” ~ (James Allen).
46. “A noble and God-like character is not a thing of favor or chance, but is the natural result of continued effort in right thinking, the effect of long-cherished association with God-like thoughts.” ~ (James Allen).
Short James Allen Quotes
47. “Spiritual meditation is the pathway to Divinity. It is a mystic ladder which reaches from earth to heaven, from error to Truth, from pain to peace.” ~ (James Allen).
48. “The within is ceaselessly becoming the without. From the state of a man’s heart doth proceed the conditions of his life; his thoughts blossom into deeds, and his deeds bear the fruitage of character and destiny.” ~ (James Allen).
49. “Man, as a spiritual being, cannot be maintained in strength, uprightness, and peace except if he periodically withdraw himself from the outer world of perishable things and reach inwardly towards the abiding and imperishable realities.” ~ (James Allen).
50. “If you would perfect your body, guard your mind.” ~ (James Allen).